When mapping out your post-secondary path, don't forget to consider the advantages offered by two-year colleges. Not only are they more affordable than most four-year colleges and universities, they are also very flexible with their hours and allow a great way to 'try on' different majors and career options.
Below is a short list of reasons to consider a community college:
1. Tuition fees are low
2. Improve your transcripts for credit transfer to Universities
3. Closer location means less travel and lower living costs
4. Community college allows you to 'Test the Waters'
5. Some careers require only an Associates Degree.
6. Flexible English Proficiency requirements
7. Small class size
8. Excellent Student Support Services.
The drawbacks to attending a two-year school are few, but still should be considered when choosing your academic path:
1. Limited curriculum
2. Lighter workload
3. Uninvolved students
4. Lack of campus life
The admissions processes for junior colleges are similar to those of four year institutions. Below is a list from Houston Community College, but please check with your school to verify their processes.